Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever

This year we took the "Pepsi Challenge" approach to strawberry picking, with two separate excursions, trying out two different fields. And, as Jackson was still in school for both trips, we'll probably be going again soon. The kids loved picking and tasting the delicious berries. I actually didn't realize exactly how much "quality control" had been going on until we got to the check-out. The lady said, "I guess you like strawberries!" I thought she meant that we had picked a lot--then I looked at the kids. Pink, sticky mouths and fingers gave us away! Luckily we still made it out with enough berries to make our favorite strawberry freezer jam.
We were lucky this year to go picking with our good friends--first with Tonya and Collin, and then with Quita and Sydney.

The hay ride at Orr's made it the kid's choice for best strawberry patch.


Claire was our main taste-tester, eating the berries almost as fast as we could pick them.

And, the aftermath.
I'm not sure this picture does justice to this sticky kid. She was a mess!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Looks like fun!

So...did Claire get a bath in the kitchen sink when you got home? =)

Joel and Chelsey said...

I can neither confirm nor deny a post strawberry picking bath in the sink. :)